Find your nearest lipid clinic today

Update your lipid clinic's information

Lipid clinics are centres where you can get specialist help if you have raised or abnormal levels of blood fats, known as lipids. They can help if you have high cholesterol or triglycerides, if you’re at risk of developing heart disease, or if you already have it.

The health professionals in lipid clinics can do specialist tests to help diagnose your condition, and offer treatments and advice to help you manage it.

You may be referred to a lipid clinic if:

  • your GP thinks you may have a blood fat condition that is passed down through families
  • you have high cholesterol or triglycerides in your blood
  • you have extremely low levels of lipids such as HDL 
  • your statins or other medicines to lower your blood fats are giving you side effects or aren’t bringing your blood fats down low enough
  • you need a specialist test, such as a genetic test
  • you need specialist treatment such as LDL apheresis

Your doctor can also send an advice and guidance request to the lipid clinic 


Who you will see at a lipid clinic

You might see a number of different healthcare professionals in a lipid clinic. They are all experts in treating people with blood fat conditions.

  • Lipidologist – a doctor who treats people with raised blood fats. They can help you manage your condition and offer genetic testing to find and treat people with blood fat conditions in your family.
  • Chemical pathologist – a doctor who specialises in diagnosing diseases using laboratory tests. They understand the changes in your body caused by disease.
  • Clinical biochemist – a medical professional who helps diagnose health problems by analysing samples such as blood samples, and helps decide on the right treatment.
  • Cardiologist – a doctor who prevents and treats diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
  • Diabetologist – a doctor who treats diabetes mellitus.
  • Endocrinologist – a doctor who treats people with diseases that involve hormones.
  • Genetics counsellor – a health professional who can help you understand what happens when you have a genetic test and what the results might mean for you and your family.
  • Dietitian – an expert in food, nutrition and health who can help you make changes to what you eat to manage your condition.
  • Lipid nurses – a specialist nurse who can support you in understanding your condition and help you manage it.